Our Purpose: Patriotic
· We inspire the community with the principles on which our nation was founded.
o Many chapters and states have color guards that wear Revolutionary War uniforms and participate in civic and patriotic events and observances such as Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Armed Forces Day, Flag Day, Patriots Day (April 19), Bill of Rights Day, Yorktown Day, Constitution Day, and important battles of the Revolutionary War.
o Each year the SAR National Congress passes resolutions to stimulate personal and national action based on these principles.
· We maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom. In 1994 the NSSAR formed a Task Force to Preserve U. S. History to help focus public attention on profound problems in some proposed national standards for teaching pre-college U. S. History.
· We help carry out the promises expressed in the Preamble to the Constitution.
· We provide recognition for public service. The state societies and chapters of the NSSAR present thousands of awards each year to law enforcement officers, public safety officers, and other citizens who exemplify the best civic traditions of our nation. This includes young men and women who are leaders in our communities: high-ranking high school students of history, Eagle Scouts, JROTC and ROTC cadets and midshipmen.
· We honor, respect, and support veterans, especially those confined to residential and hospital facilities provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
These goals appear on the National Society website at www.sar.org. The Tampa Chapter promotes these goals in the Tampa area.