What is the SAR organization?
The Sons of the American Revolution is a historical, educational, and patriotic non-profit, United States 501(c)3, corporation that seeks to maintain and extend
· the institutions of American freedom
· an appreciation for true patriotism
· a respect for our national symbols
· the value of American citizenship
· the unifying force of e pluribus unum that has created, from the people of many nations, one nation and one people.
We do this by perpetuating the stories of patriotism, courage, sacrifice, tragedy, and triumph of the men who achieved the independence of the American people in the belief that these stories are universal ones of man's eternal struggle against tyranny, relevant to all time, and will inspire and strengthen each succeeding generation as it too is called upon to defend our freedoms on the battlefield and in our public institutions.
The Tampa Chapter
The national SAR organization is subdivided into State Societies and local chapters. The Florida Society (www.flssar.org) includes more than 30 local chapters and nearly 2000 members.
Dating back to 1964, the Tampa Chapter has a long history much of which is available elsewhere on this website. Membership and activities have varied widely over the years and have included:
· Eagle Scout Awards
· An annual JROTC Awards Luncheon to honor those cadets selected by their commanders for recognition
· Law Enforcement and Fire Safety Medal presentations
· Gifts of genealogical books to the Tampa Public Library’s genealogical collection
· Participation in naturalization ceremonies by awarding US flags to new citizens
· A Color Guard which marches in parades and participates in other events
· Good Citizenship Awards to local elementary schools
· The planting of a liberty tree
· Sponsored a Poster Contest for elementary school children
· Participation in the Wreaths Across America program to lay Christmas wreaths at the graves of veterans
We welcome new members and will be happy to assist you in tracing your family lineage. The effort, while sometimes substantial, can be quite rewarding. Guests are always welcome to our monthly, Sept. through May, meetings. Please contact us at email@example.com for details.