Sons of the American Revolution
MINUTES of Chapter Meeting
Meeting date: November 17, 2012
Call to order: A monthly meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution was held at Piccadilly Cafeteria, Tampa, Florida on November 17, 2012. The meeting convened at 12:00 pm, President John Skillman presiding, Mike Frayn, secretary.
Compatriot Luke Lloyd gave the invocation. Sgt. Justin Raphael led the Pledge of Allegiance. Compatriot Ed Neugaard led the SAR Pledge.
Introductions of Compatriots and Guests.
Members in attendance: Chuck Bearss, Alan Bell, Doug Brown, Ed Clark, Terry Doan, Paul Ergler, Paul Farley, Bill Floyd, Mike Frayn, Cy Gamber, Chuck Hawley, Charles Klug, Luke Lloyd, Marty Miller, Ed Neugaard, Justin Raphael, Gray Reese Jr., John Sessums, Terrell Sessums, Ken Skillman, John Skillman, Terry Sopher, Brett Thomas, Bob Yarnell and Dick Young.
Guests in attendance: Jeanne Lloyd, Glen Clepper, Cpl Kristine Arevalo, USMC, Leigh Frayn, Ellie Skillman, Cathy Sopher DAR, Bonnie Sopher CAR, Lisette Young, Jerry Walters, Judy Walters, Greg Tisdale, Rhoda Garcia DAR, Henry Garcia, Matthew Garcia, Alex Garcia, Mia Garcia, Carli Brown President, Ft. Brooke CAR, Leigh Ann Brown Sr. State Librarian FSCAR, Pamela Berkey CAR, Mimi Leroy-Marler CAR, Jen Bagenski CAR, Charlene Herreid CAR.
Recognition of Past Presidents.
Reports from the Board of Governors:
· The December chapter meeting will be held at Emerald Greens Country Club. The agenda will be the installation of officers and Christmas luncheon. All members will receive an email invitation. The cost will be $27 per person with a maximum capacity of 47 people.
· The Winter Board of Managers meeting will be held January 11-12, 2013. President Skillman requested that key board members attend. This will be the last time the meeting that is held at Ramada Inn. It will move to the Florida Mall Hotel.
· There will be a Board of Governors meeting held at Piccadilly Cafeteria at 10am on Saturday, January 5, 2013.
Vice President: Nothing to report.
· Compatriot Mike Frayn told members that he has received dues from approximately 80% of the members.
· Current Checking account balance $3564.54.
· The chapter received a $200 contribution from the daughter of Compatriot Willard Hawn, a former SAR member, who passed away.
· SunTrust Bank is still charging us $20 per month service charge on our checking account. If he cannot get the bank to waive the fee we will change banks.
· Two applications at national, two applications pending at state, 3 more applications to be submitted.
Election of Officers:
· Vice President Bob Yarnell conducted the election. There were no additional candidates nominated from the floor. The nominations were published in the November meeting program. Compatriot Yarnell proposed that the slate of officer candidates in the program be elected.
o Motion: Moved by Luke Lloyd. Seconded by Ed Neugaard. Motion Carried
· Compatriot Luke Lloyd said that they have 7 members to start up the Sun City chapter. All activity until they reach the required ten members will go through the Tampa Chapter.
· Compatriot Luke Lloyd awarded two SAR Bronze Good Citizenship medals at the Veterans Day function held by Military Order of World Wars. There were 300 members and spouses attending.
· President Skillman spoke of creating a Family Association for the purpose of furthering genealogical research. The goals of the family membership will be to enlist family members, create a website, grow funds and eventually offer scholarships. He has incorporated and has an EIN from the IRS. The Association will be accepting memberships after January 1, 2013.
President Skillman recessed the meeting for lunch at 12:30pm. The meeting resumed at 1:12pm.
Presentation of Chapter Awards:
· Compatriot Alan Bell was presented with a Challenge Coin for his work as Registrar.
· Sergeant Justin Raphael, USMC was sworn in as a new member and presented his certificate by his father, Compatriot Mike Frayn. President Skillman presented Sergeant Raphael with the War Service Medal for his 2012 military service in Afghanistan.
Compatriot Bob Yarnell introduced the Children of the American Revolution guests and Carli Brown, President of Ft. Brooke CAR. Carli spoke about CAR, the Fort Brooke chapter and national and state projects. Their national project is named Sword Surrender, celebrating the victory at the Battles of Saratoga, resulting in the support of France and Spain in the American Revolution. Their state project, "Rolling with the Brave" is raising funds in support of the National Veterans Wheelchair Games to be held at James A. Haley Veterans Hospital on July 13-18, 2013. The CAR sold pins at the chapter meeting to raise funds.
Compatriot Bob Yarnell gave a humorous lecture about the first Thanksgiving using a "March Madness" theme.
Carli Brown picked the 50/50 ticket. Compatriot Mike Frayn won and donated the proceeds to the chapter.
Compatriot Luke Lloyd led the closing prayer.
Compatriot Gray Reese led the Recessional.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:00.
Secretary Date of approval: 19 November 2012
Sons of the American Revolution