Sons of the American Revolution
MINUTES of Chapter Meeting
Meeting date: February 16, 2013
Call to order: A monthly meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution was held at Piccadilly Cafeteria, Tampa, Florida on February 16, 2013. The meeting convened at 12:00 pm, President John Skillman presiding, Mike Frayn, secretary.
Compatriot Jack Bolen gave the invocation. Compatriot Brett Thomas led the Pledge of Allegiance. Compatriot Robbins Denham led the SAR Pledge.
Introductions of Compatriots and Guests.
Members in attendance: Milton Alexander, Chuck Bearss, Alan Bell, Jack Bolen, Robbins Denham, Terry Doan, Paul Ergler, Paul Farley, Mike Frayn, Charles Klug, Luke Lloyd, Marty Miller, Ed Neugaard, Gray Reese Jr., John Sessums, Terrell Sessums, John Skillman, Ken Skillman, Brett Thomas and Dick Young.
Guests in attendance: Bailey Fleming, Lee Fleming, Natalie Skillman, Hamilton Evans, Tom Rohr, Bill Ludlum, Barbara Ludlum, Glenn Clepper, June Bolen, Jeanne Lloyd, Neva Sessums, Ellie Skillman, and Lissette Young.
Recognition of Past Presidents.
Reports from the Board of Governors:
· President Skillman attended the Tampa Chapter, DAR, President's Day luncheon at Palma Ceia Country Club.
· Each member of the Board of Governors has taken leadership of one of the chapter committees. He urged members to sign up to help on a committee.
Vice President: Nothing to report
Secretary: Nothing to report.
· Current Checking account balance $2376.67
o Motion: Dick Young moved that the Treasurer's report be entered into the record. Jack Bolen seconded. Motion carried.
· Four applications at state and several others pending.
· Program and Events Chairman: Compatriot Young announced that the speaker at the March meeting with be Scott McDonald from the Veterans Administration to speak about the Wheelchair Games.
· Color Guard: nothing to report
· JROTC: Compatriot Jack Bolen thanked all volunteer members. He distributed all certificates to members for presentation to reduce our mailing costs. He requested volunteers to speak about their careers to the cadets in April. Asked that members pick up tabs for cadets on a one by one basis rather than having the chapter pay the entire bill this year to reduce chapter expenses.
· Compatriot Luke Lloyd provided an update on the start up the Sun City chapter.
· Compatriot Jack Bolen announced that the Civil War Round Table was having a guest speaker, Randy Bailey, to speak about General John G. Jordan on February 27, 2013.
New Members: President John Skillman presented John Faulk and Charlie Garrison with their membership certificates and lapel pins and they were welcomed into the chapter.
President Skillman recessed the meeting for lunch at 12:25pm. The meeting resumed at 1:00pm.
Presentation of Chapter Awards:
· Compatriot Dick Young presented supplemental certificates to Gray Reese, Jr. and Mike Frayn.
· President Skillman presented Milton Alexander with a challenge coin for recruiting Charlie Garrison.
Compatriot Dick Young introduced our guest speaker, John Skillman, who portrayed Private James Bradford who served as messenger to His Excellency, General George Washington.
Ham Evans picked the 50/50 ticket. Compatriot Dick Young was the winner.
Compatriot Jack Bolen led the closing prayer.
Compatriot Chuck Bearss led the Recessional.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:00.
Secretary Date of approval: 5 March 2013
Sons of the American Revolution