Sons of the American Revolution
MINUTES of Chapter Meeting
Meeting date: October 19, 2013
Call to order: A monthly meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution was held at Piccadilly Cafeteria, Tampa, Florida on October 19, 2013. The meeting convened at 12:00 pm, Vice President Dick Young presiding, Mike Frayn, secretary.
Compatriot Jack Bolen gave the invocation. Bill Hamlin led the Pledge of Allegiance. Compatriot Ed Neugaard led the SAR Pledge.
Introductions of Compatriots and Guests.
Members in attendance: Tim Badger, Chuck Bearss, Alan Bell, Jack Bolen, Dave Bryant, Glenn Clepper, Terry Doan, Paul Ergler, Ham Evans, Paul Farley, Mike Frayn, Brian French, Charles Klug, David McCallister, Marty Miller, Ed Neugaard, Jerry Walters and Dick Young.
Guests in attendance: June Bolen, Victoria Klug, John Landress, Luke Lloyd, Bill Hamlin and Rosemary Hamlin.
Introduction of Past Presidents.
Reports from the Board of Governors:
President: Not present, no report.
· Compatriot Dick Young reported that all guest speaker slots are filled through May 2014.
· The December 2013 meeting will be held at the Rusty Pelican restaurant at Rocky Point.
· Dick Young and Jack Bolen represented the Tampa Chapter at the chartering ceremony of the new South Coast Chapter on October 5th.
· Compatriot Mike Frayn asked for additions or corrections to the minutes of the September 2013 meeting. Jack Bolen moved the minutes be entered into the record, Ed Neugaard seconded. Hearing no objections, Vice President Young approved the minutes as published on the website.
· Approximately 50% of the 2014 dues have been collected.
· Current Checking account balance $3854.14
· Several applications at state and national levels.
· Transferring pending applications for South Coast chapter to Luke Lloyd, registrar for South Coast
Compatriot Alan Bell reported that the Color Guard will be at the Founders and Patriots meeting in Lakeland on Saturday October 26. Compatriots Doan and Bolen will be representing the chapter.
The nominating committee presented the following candidates for the 2014 Board of Governors to the membership. A formal vote will be taken at the November 2013 meeting:
President - Dick Young Vice President - Charles Klug
Secretary - Mike Frayn Treasurer - Paul Ergler
Historian - Bob Yarnell Sergeant at Arms - Alan Bell
Chaplain - Jack Bolen Registrar/Genealogist - Ed Neugaard
Member at Large - Terry Doan Member at Large - Brian French
Chancellor - Charles Klug Immediate Past President – John Skillman
Vice President Young recessed the meeting for lunch at 12:18 pm. The meeting resumed at 12:50 pm.
Bill and Rosemary Hamlin represented the USS Tampa American Legion Post #5 and the Ladies Auxiliary. Post #5 is located at Kennedy & Dale Mabry and is one of the original posts in the organization. The American Legion has over 3 million members and is the largest veteran's organization in the country. The cemetery at the post is the only private veteran's cemetery in the world and holds 735 headstones. There will be a wreath laying ceremony on December 14, 2013 at noon.
New Members: John Landress was present. His certificate was not available so he will be inducted at the November meeting.
Presentation of Chapter Awards: Compatriot Jack Bolen received the Roger Sherman award from the South Coast Chapter for his assistance in establishing the new chapter.
The first quarter 2014 Board of Management meeting will be held in Orlando on 24-25 January.
Victoria Klug won the 50/50 drawing and donated the proceeds to the chapter.
Compatriot Jack Bolen led the benediction. Compatriot Dick Young led the Recessional.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:35.
Secretary Date of approval: 14 November 2013
Sons of the American Revolution