Sons of the American Revolution
MINUTES of Chapter Meeting
Meeting date: November 16, 2013
Call to order: A monthly meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution was held at Piccadilly Cafeteria, Tampa, Florida on November 16, 2013. The meeting convened at 12:00 pm, President John Skillman presiding, Mike Frayn, secretary.
Compatriot Luke Lloyd gave the invocation. An unnamed compatriot led the Pledge of Allegiance. Compatriot Ed Neugaard led the SAR Pledge.
Introductions of Compatriots and Guests.
Members in attendance: Tim Badger, Dave Bryant, Glenn Clepper, Paul Ergler, Ham Evans, Paul Farley, Bill Floyd, Mike Frayn, Brian French, Cy Gamber, Charles Klug, Marty Miller, Ed Neugaard, John Sessums, John Skillman, Ken Skillman and Dick Young.
Guests in attendance: Compatriot Luke Lloyd, Lisette Young, Ellie Skillman, Compatriot Charles Humphries, Sgt Steve Gaskins, Trooper Javier Hernandez, Marisa Viano, Jacob Viano, Sophia Viano, Sharon Skrimshire, Lauren Moreno, Pamela Berkey CAR, Brett Maurer, Jennifer Bagensh CAR, Aurora Stabler CAR, Scott Peeler, Charlene Herreid CAR, Vonnie Bell, Paul Aaron Brown CAR, Carli Brown CAR, Mimi Leroy-Marler CAR, Robert D'Angelo, Mark D'Angelo and Lynea D'Angelo.
Introduction of Past Presidents.
Reports from the Board of Governors:
· Thanks to the membership for the Get Well card.
· No Eagle Scout certificates awarded. Compatriot Dave Bryant is now Chairman of Eagle Scout Committee.
· President Skillman will be attending the Desoto DAR meeting on 10 January and the South Coast DAR meeting on 1 February. He will be giving his presentation in costume of the General George Washington's messenger.
· Compatriot Dick Young asked Sharon Skrimshire of the DAR to give a report on the DAR/SAR picnic at Lettuce Lake Park.
· Compatriot Mike Frayn asked for additions or corrections to the minutes of the October 2013 meeting. John Skillman advised that the name of the new South Shore chapter be corrected. Vice President Young approved the minutes with corrections.
· 39 members have paid dues, 25 members are unpaid and 1 is dropping at year end.
· Current Checking account balance $5070.31
· Medal inventory value $1284.25
· 5 supplemental applications approved.
Programs and Special Events:
Next month's meeting will be the Officer Installation luncheon at the Rusty Pelican restaurant.
Compatriot Dick Young reported that the Color Guard will be present at the Wreaths Across America ceremony on 14 December at the American Legion Post #5 in Tampa. All members are encouraged to participate.
Compatriot Mike Frayn distributed a list of USO Volunteer opportunities to the membership.
President Skillman called for nominations from the floor for chapter officers 3 times as required by Robert's Rules of Order. There were no nominations.
Motion: President Skillman called for a motion to accept the slate of officers as presented at the October 2013 meeting. Moved by John Sessums. Cy Gamber seconded. Motion carried.
The meeting broke for lunch at 12:20 pm. The meeting resumed at 12:55 pm.
Presentation of Chapter Awards: Trooper Javier Hernandez of the Florida Highway Patrol, was presented with the Law Enforcement Award for his actions of Christmas Eve 2012 where he prevented a man from jumping off the Skyway Bridge. He was introduced by Sgt. Steve Gaskins, FHP.
Carli Brown, Ft. Brooke CAR President and CAR State Historian spoke about the current CAR fund raising projects. This year they are supporting Student Veterans of America and Save Our Marine Environment. Dick Young recognized the adult leaders of CAR and presented Carli Brown with a $100 donation to support CAR activities.
· The first quarter 2014 Board of Management meeting will be held in Orlando on 24-25 January.
· All members are invited to attend the Desoto DAR Christmas luncheon at Palma Ceia Country Club on Friday 13 December.
· All members and guests were invited to attend the Wreaths Across America ceremony at the American Legion Post #5 on 14 December at 12:00.
· Compatriot Luke Lloyd invited all members to attend the South Shore chapter meetings the first Saturday of each month.
Compatriot Mike Frayn won the 50/50 drawing and donated the proceeds to the chapter.
Compatriot Luke Lloyd gave the benediction. Compatriot Dick Young led the Recessional.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:20.
Secretary Date of approval: 22 December 2013
Sons of the American Revolution