Generally, meetings for the Tampa Chapter are held on the third Saturday of each month, September to May at the Boy Scouts of America Service Center, 13228 North Central Ave. Tampa, FL 33612. Meetings begin at noon but members are encouraged to arrive as early as 11:30 for a time of camaraderie. A typical meeting begins with a short business meeting followed by the program. A light lunch is supplied by the chapter.
Wives, family, guests, and visiting members are always welcome.
The schedule of the next several meetings is as follows:
· Sept. 16, 2017 – Prof. J. Michael Francis will offer a presentation on colonial Florida
· Oct. 21, 2017 – Dr. Robert Smith will speak on Colonial Florida
· Nov. 18, 2017 – We will hold our annual Law Enforcement/Fire Fighter Recognition
· Dec. 16, 2017 – Officer installation
Other Dates of Interest
· July 7-13 - National Society Annual Congress - Knoxville, TN
Information available at www.sar.org/sar-annual-congress
· August 20 - tentative FLSSAR Regional Meeting; (times and site-somewhere in Tampa-to be determined)
· October 25-30 - tentative Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall; Hillsborough County Veterans Memorial Park
· November 3-4 - Florida Society BOM Meeting – Kissimmee
· December 16 - Wreaths Across America
Please note, meetings are not held in June, July or August of any year.
May 2017: Rodney Kite-Powell of the Tampa Bay History Center spoke on our local, Tampa, history
April 2017: We held our annual ROTC luncheon. Each year we honor the outstanding cadet from each local unit. We appreciate their taking the time to join us.
March 2017: Richard Wainio spoke on the expansion of the Panama Canal and its future
February 2017: Professor Tillson gave a presentation on Revolutionary Virginia
January 2017: We held our Officer Installation at the Rusty Pelican restaurant
December 2016: We participated in the Wreaths Across American ceremony then enjoyed a light Christmas party at the home of our chapter president
Nov. 2016 – Bob Yarnell presented, “The First Thanksgiving Controversy Revisited”
Oct. 2016 – We presented two SAR Law Enforcement Awards to outstanding first responders
Sept. 2016 – Donald Miller spoke on his new book, Lafayette: His Extraodrinary Life and Legacy
May 2016: Meeting at the Tampa Bay History Center, Rodney Kite-Powell, Saunders Foundation Curator of History at the museum, presented a program on Ft. Brooke, including a look at their exhibit on Ft. Brooke.
The next Florida Society meeting will be held in Kissimmee May 19-21, 2017. Visit the state website (www.flssar.org) for registration information.