Sons of the American Revolution
MINUTES of Chapter Meeting
Meeting date: March 16, 2013
Call to order: A monthly meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution was held at Piccadilly Cafeteria, Tampa, Florida on March 16, 2013. The meeting convened at 12:03 pm, Vice President Dick Young presiding, Mike Frayn, secretary.
Compatriot Dick Young announced that Compatriot Elwin Thresher passed away. Compatriot Dwight Tetrick was attending the funeral and would give a sympathy card from the chapter to the family. Compatriot Jack Bolen would be presenting the family with a 25 Year Membership Pin at a later date.
Compatriot Jack Bolen gave the invocation and asked for a moment of silence for Compatriot Elwin Thresher. Scott MacDonald led the Pledge of Allegiance. Compatriot Dick Young led the SAR Pledge.
Introductions of Compatriots and Guests.
Members in attendance: Alan Bell, Jack Bolen, Ed Clark, Robbins Denham, Terry Doan, Paul Ergler, Bill Floyd, Mike Frayn, Chuck Hawley, Charles Klug, Luke Lloyd, Marty Miller, Ed Neugaard, Terrell Sessums, Dwight Tetrick, Brett Thomas and Dick Young.
Guests in attendance: Leigh Frayn, Glen Clepper, June Bolen, Jeanne Lloyd, Neva Sessums and Laurie Ledwetter.
Recognition of Past Presidents.
Reports from the Board of Governors:
· Not present, President Skillman reported that 2 Eagle Scout certificates were mailed and two Flag Certificates were presented.
Vice President: Nothing to report
Secretary: Nothing to report.
· Current Checking account balance $2410.33
o Motion: Mike Frayn moved that the Treasurer's report be entered into the record. Jack Bolen seconded. Motion carried.
· Several applications at state and several others in the pipeline.
· Program and Events Chairman: Compatriot Young would like the chapter to participate in Wreaths Across America this year. He is waiting to see if the December date will conflict with the chapter meeting date. The chapter would decorate the grave markers at the Veteran's Cemetery at the American Legion Post at Dale Mabry and Kennedy in Tampa.
· Color Guard: No activity in February. Compatriot Mike Frayn is working on having the Color Guard be present at the Welcome Home event of the Honor Flight at St. Petersburg Airport for the World War II veterans.
· JROTC: Compatriot Jack Bolen thanked all volunteer members. He requested that all presenters notify him of presentation dates and recipient names in order for the chapter to be reimbursed for the cost of the medals. Several members of the chapter will be speaking to the Cadets about careers next month.
· Compatriot Luke Lloyd provided an update on the start up the Sun City chapter. The first chapter meeting will take place September 7, 2013.
· Compatriot Jack Bolen announced that the Civil War Round Table guest speaker was LtCol Virgil Ogilsvy, speaking on the battle that took place in New Bern, NC. March 27 at 7pm at the Tampa Bay History Center.
· Compatriot Terry Doan completed the Chapter Challenge report. We had over 600 points.
· Vice President Dick Young announced that the next Board of Management meeting will take place the first weekend of May.
New Members: Compatriot Ed Neugaard accepted Michael Dangl's (his grandson) membership certificate upon his behalf.
Presentation of Chapter Awards: Compatriot Chuck Hawley was presented with his eighth Supplemental Certificate.
Vice President Young recessed the meeting for lunch at 12:25pm. The meeting resumed at 1:00pm.
Compatriot Dick Young introduced our guest speaker, Scott MacDonald, Voluntary Service Specialist for the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital. Scott is a medically retired sailor. He works with spinal cord injured veterans.
The VA needs 3000 volunteers for the VHA Wheelchair Games that are taking place in Tampa July 13-18, 2013. The events will be taking place all over the bay area depending upon the event. Volunteers sign up for 4 hour increments. Volunteers will be fed and presented with a Certificate of Appreciation. All members will receive an email with volunteer information. www.wheelchairgames.va.gov/
Scott MacDonald picked the 50/50 ticket. Compatriot Paul Ergler was the winner and donated the $34 pot to the chapter.
Compatriot Jack Bolen led the closing prayer. Compatriot Dick Young led the Recessional.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 1:30
Secretary Date of approval: 5 March 2013
Sons of the American Revolution